Tuesday, October 5, 2021

A Homegrown Country Dinner From My Community Garden Plot

 

Now, this is a country garden dinner! . . Everything you see here. . .with the exception of the sweet potatoes. . .was grown in my small garden plot at the Community Garden here in Ste. Genevieve. . .The Ozark peas. . .relish with green tomatoes, green and red peppers, onions and spices. . .fried squash with onions and sweet potatoes. . .

 Although the garden didn't do as well as I had expected, I was still able to eat all summer from what I grew. . .and I canned tomatoes. . .salsa. . .green tomato relish. . .bread and butter pickles. . .dill pickles. . .I put squash. . .peppers. . .peas. . .eggplant. . .onions. . .kale in the freezer. . .dried herbs on a rack for the winter. Not bad for my first city garden.

I wrote early this spring that I had obtained a garden plot and noted it could be a VICTORY GARDEN such as those during WWII. . .But I think it actually turned out to be a French potager, from a time when sustainable life was a necessity. . .Potagers were year-round vegetable gardens just large enough to supply the household with fresh vegetables and herbs every day. . .I have always relied on vegetables and fruit as my main-stays for meals. . .which makes summer my favorite time of the year. . .

And let me tell you. . .there's nothing like the taste of vegetables fresh from the garden. . .nothing. . .


I won't be participating in the community garden next year. . .because. . .we are preparing a garden in the backyard! . .Complete with a wire garden house to keep squirrels and other "varmints" away from my potager. . .But, if you live in Ste. Genevieve, I encourage you to join other gardeners at the Ste. Genevieve Community Garden next year. . .and grow some veggies for your summer table. . .It's great fun. . .Great exercise. . .Great culinary results. . .as you can see. . .Yum. . .Excuse me while I enjoy. . .


No comments: