Sunday, January 20, 2019

A Pantry for the Kitchen

Ever since I bought my first house, the first among many, I've wanted a big kitchen pantry in an old colonial home.  Yet it didn't dawn on me until recently that the time had actually come to put that plan into action in the wide hall off the kitchen. I was having a hard time deciding what to do with the space, having four doors to contend with.  Sure I could place a table on one side with a lamp or a narrow cupboard if I could find one that was only twelve inches deep. There would be a lot of wasted space and space is very valuable in a 900 sq. ft. house.

When it finally dawned on me that the hallway would make a perfect pantry, we set to work. The high ceiling allowed us many shelves on one side. On the other, I planned to place a hanging shelf of some kind over the 1890s grain bin, thinking John would probably end up building it.

I must admit that John did the work. I was the gopher (go for this, go for that). He first painted the walls a soft white to match the kitchen. Although you can't tell in the before photos, the walls were a light mint green. Once the paint was dry, he began installing the 12" deep shelves on the exterior side. He ducked in and out of the cold, damp weather as he cut and painted each board. Like all old houses, nothing was square. In fact, the floor itself slanted downward at least an inch from one end of the shelves to the other. That's when John's skill came in handy. No big deal for him. I would have been pulling my hair out from frustration.

My skill is finding bargains, which was the case with our hall re-do. I honestly didn't think I'd find a hanging wall shelf large enough for the space above the grain bin. I was looking for other items one day at the St. Mary's Antique Mall when I unexpectedly spotted a shelf that I was sure would fill the space. But, it was a Shaker style and somewhat primitive. I just knew it would be expensive. $20. It was painted in a bright (really bright) blue, but I could see the beauty in it once I changed the color. I didn't even ask for a discount. . .

With any project, there's a before and an after and then there is the all that comes in between--the middle. We are at that point. . .with more to do. It's a beginning. Now my favorite part comes in. . .deciding what to put on the shelves. I'm sure I can find plenty to transform my dreamed of pantry into 18th-19th century style. Not a problem. . .Simply fun. . .

Before: Exterior wall

Before: Interior Wall

Shelves on Exterior Wall




 


1 comment:

The Farmers Daughter said...

Our next project will be the bathroom--changing the paint color and adding a few colonial accents!