Friday, February 14, 2020

Interpreting the 18th Century With Clothing

I was born an Old Soul. . .It's a fact. . .Almost as soon as I started walking, I wanted to dress in long skirts and big hats. . .It's second nature for me. . .I could play the role of any historic figure I admired in books or on TV. . .but, at the same time, I had an innate sense of being able to become a person of the past easily. . .And, my favorite. . .and most comfortable fit. . .was in the 18th century colonial era. . .during the early days of our American history. . . .Now that we have become a part of French Colonial history here in Ste. Genevieve, I'm just as comfortable donning the clothes appropriate for the part of a Creole working woman. . .and walking down the streets of Ste. Genevieve to welcome guests to the French Colonial settlement.

Costuming is such an important part for telling the history of a place or time. . .Well-made and accessorized clothing resonates with the public. . .something I think many don't realize. . .When I open my door and walk out on Main Street, the clothing I wear has already spoken a story without me ever saying a word. . .It is rare that I don't have visitors wanting to stop and chat or take selfies with me within the first ten minutes of my journey. The public is hungry for the visual Colonial French interpreted with clothing. . .And if one plays the part in first person, all the better. . .We become a walking living museum when clothed correctly and playing the part of our ancestors.

Research is necessary in assembling a costume authentic to your chosen period of history. . .It's research that is on-going and never ends. . .18th century clothing did not remain the same for the entire one hundred years. . .There was the time of the hunters and trappers, and dealings with the Native Americans in trade. When Spain took over Louisiane in the 1760s, it is true that the Creoles continued to dominate everyday life. But, Spain also actively sought Americans (especially Kentucky settlers) and the Delaware and Shawnee (and others) to come to New Spain. . .which was the reason my Virginian/Kentucky families moved here in the second half of the 18th century. . .bringing their own style of English and pioneer clothing.

For my interpretation of the clothing here in Ste. Genevieve, I usually choose a short gown, pettticoat, and apron of the working woman. . .Sometimes, though, I do throw in an American pioneer influence. . .But, it's not only the pieces of costume that is important. . .Accessories are necessary if you want an authenic look and not one out of present-day catalog. . .Start with the basic three pieces and then layer. . .layer. . .layer. . .and don't match the layers! Here's a quick example. . .


On the left are your basic three pieces, plus a pocket and medicine bag. . .a very good start. . .but doesn't the one on the right tell a bigger story without saying a word? . . I layered a chemise, two petticoats, two aprons, a pocket (can't quite see it), a short gown and a scarf. A cap, straw hat, and 18th century sunglasses add to my story. . . The gun is optional. . .(grin). . .I think you can see the difference it makes. . .


This is only the start of a series of posts about Colonial fashion in the 18th century. . .For this post, I simply wanted to introduce to you the concept of how interpretive period clothing can add so much more to the history of our amazing colonial town. . .Til then. . .
If you would like to purchase clothing appropriate for a Colonial French working woman, 

1 comment:

The Farmers Daughter said...

The young lady is so cute in her 18th century clothing. I just had to include her in this post!!