Friday, October 12, 2018

The Anglo-American I-House

On St. Mary's Road, Sassafras Creek Originals. Built ca 1861, it was the home of William Brooks.

Not too many years ago, I broke the news to John as easily as I could that I had one more house to build or renovate. . .The Federal style I-house. . .It has been my favorite for so long and yet, I have never found the perfect one for me in the right town or state. . .It must go back to my ancestor blood, for many of my family during the 18th and 19th century lived in homes based on this style. . .My heart flutters a little every time I see one dating back to the 1800s. . .They have a character that cannot be reproduced. . .no matter how much detail goes into the newer ones.
It wasn't a huge jump into loving Ste. Genevieve when on our first visit, I spotted an I-house that had to date back at least 200 years just outside of the town. . .I knew at that moment I would love Ste. Genevieve. . .The more we drove around town in the next few days, the more I was sure of it. . .

Located on Hwy 61, the Pierre Delussus DeLuziere House was built ca 1793, now owned by Mo State Parks.

Come to find out, my first choice of I-houses was owned by the State of Missouri and had a very significant history that goes with it. . .It was built by Pierre DeLassus DeLuziere ca 1793 . DeLassus came from France and hoped to establish a settlement named New Bourbon. He was a French aristocrat and was held in high esteem by the community. His son, Charles,  would play a role in my own family history down in New Madrid county. . .No wonder I was drawn to it. . .

The Ratte-Hoffman House, located at 98 Gabouri, was built ca 1809.
I found there are many I-houses around town as well as along the countryside. . .Although the small home we bought on Main Street is not one, it doesn't change my resolve. . .so. . .

Yes, John. . .I have one more house to own. . .One day. . .


No comments: