Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Ghosts of Heil House Appear

We think the mystery is finally solved as to who our lady ghost is. . .Franciska--Mama Heil--is back. . .

It was only a week ago that John joined me in Ste. Genevieve for the French Heritage Festival on the weekend. . .He hadn't been here more than thirty minutes when Franciska--Mama Heil--began her pranks again. . .First we were standing at the counter in the kitchen when suddenly the cutting board, leaning against the back wall, went up in the air and landed right in front of us. . .We looked at each other, saying out loud. . ."She's b-a-c-k." That night, she woke John up five times, turning on the overhead light. . .only stopping her determination--for that night--to get his attention when he told her to quit. . .I kidded John all day long. . ."Franciska L-U-V-S you". . .

Well. . .it was a couple of nights later that Mama Heil didn't turn on the bedroom light. . .She quietly appeared in a wispy outline. . .seated on an antique trunk which bears the name of a Phillips, Cape Giraudeau, Upper Louisiana, dating back to the 18th or early 19th century before Missouri became a state. . .John said that she was perfectly comfortable there and did not attempt to move. . .She was rather short and stocky. . .and although he couldn't make out her face, she appeared to be of German descent more than French. . .verifying that our Heil House ghost is more than likely "Franciska". . .

Now, most people would have been very "rattled" by this experience but what did John do? . .He politely thanked her for not turning on the light, turned over, and promptly went sound to sleep. . .She hasn't appeared to him since. . .but we know she's watching. . .


In the meantime. . .the ghost cat continues to appear to me. . .Just last night I was watching a movie while lying on the couch. . .Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw BJ--our live cat--duck under the couch. . .a place he goes to rest. . .A little later I was waiting for him to pounce on me, as he often does. . .Nothing. . .so I asked John if he saw BJ?

"No. . .BJ hasn't been in here for over an hour."

Whoops. . .This happens to me quite often and I have honestly become accustomed to two cats in the house. . .Unlike the reaction of most people, I find it comforting. . .

So the Ghosts of Heil House "live" on. . .(Pardon the pun). . .Just be aware if you visit that we have our own versions of "Casper, the Friendly Ghost". . .and They just might make themselves known to you. . .Neither is bashful at all. . .