Thursday, May 14, 2020

Blacksmith's Shop on Washington Street

During this time of social distancing, I find myself walking around Ste. Genevieve early in the morning before many are out and about. . .taking different routes each day. I've found double pleasure in these treks each day, for I have discovered a Ste. Genevieve I've never noticed driving down the streets. . .I see all the little details when I'm strolling along. . .The first few days I forgot my camera and missed some good early morning shots. . .a mistake that hasn't happened again. . .
One street I hadn't walked up was Washington, which is just around the corner from our house. . .I drive it all the time, for it is one of the quickest ways home. . .To my surprise, I discovered this old building that I had only glanced at before come alive for me, with a faded Old Virginia sign painted on the brick side wall. . .I was intrigued and ventured further. . .camera in hand. . .
 Isn't it an amazing piece of vintage?

The entire building is a treasure trove of rustic "Kodak moments". . .
or "digital moments". . .
whichever era you were born in. . .




 I could hardly wait to return home and find my Ste. Genevieve stash of books. . .
in hopes of learning a little history about the place. . .

"Blacksmith's Shop. . .Built some time after 1850, this somewhat dilapidated structure is an important surviving nineteenth century commercial building. The oldest surviving blacksmith's shop in Ste. Genevieve, it seems to maintain much of its original appearance. This included the mammoth wooden deck across the second story, which draws attention both because of its unique appearance and its apparent deterioration." from: The Commandant's Last Ride by Mark L. Evans
"Blacksmith's Shop. 205 Washington Street, c. 1850. Property type: commercial building. This brick, front-gabled, two story building with side, single-story wing is the oldest remaining blacksmith shop and stable in Ste. Genevieve. Its south facade is four bays wide and is marked by a projecting, wood-framed, two-level, gable front porch. This porch has an open ground level. The second story has a clapboarded balustrade, square wood posts and clapboards in the gable peak. The side walls are five bays deep and are pierced by irregularly placed windows. Fenestration consists of six-over-six, double hung, sash windows. A garage door is placed in the south wall of the single-story west ell. Brick chimneys project from the east slope of the roof.."  ~ Historic District National Register Nomination Form
The building has a ghost sign indicating it was a wagon maker and blacksmith shop. www.waymarking.com

I am constantly amazed at the historic buildings that still remain in Ste. Genevieve. . .
and that are still being used. . .
in a time when old structures across America are being torn down every day.
Such a unique little town. . .


No comments: