Monday, November 8, 2021

Shutters Make the Difference Between Rustic Colonial and Victorian


 Buying an old home always brings decorating challenges. . .Families have moved in and out and each time the house was changed to suit their needs and lifestyles. . .which is one reason I love them. . .and one reason there is always decorating challenges for me. . .

And so it was with Heil House. . .While the front of the house was probably built around 1850, it has had three additions and many "updates". . .one of which changed the paneled doors of a traditional Colonial home to Victorian half glass ones. . .front and back. . .not at all with the style of the house, especially inside where I have a mix of prim and rustic pieces more in line with the 19th century. . .I've been bumfuzzled for three years as to what I should do about it without any major door replacements. . .

But. . .it dawned on me one day that a simple "shutter" or 19th century "bars" would change the whole feel of the room and add to the current decorating style. . .Of course I turned to John. . .my master carpenter. . .and you can see the result above. . .

Now, you might be thinking "That's not much!'. . .but look at this:

That's our pantry door in the back. . .complete with curtain that reminds me of the "new" colonial style more popular in the late 1950s and carried over into the 1990s. . .I enjoyed it for years. . .but let's face it. . .in 1850 there would have been no window and no curtain. . .but there could have been shutters at the top of a half door to let the air circulate. . .get my drift?. . .(grin)

By the way. . .the front door in the first photo also had the curtain. . .I'm sorry I didn't get a snapshot of it because it did nothing for the room. . .Now. . .I think the shuttered, barred door is great. . .and love the brightness and simplicity it brings to the living room. . .

To answer your next question. . .Yes!. . .the pantry door has one now, too. . .

And it only took me three years to figure it out. . .(another grin). . .

2 comments:

The Farmers Daughter said...

This could be a rustic farmhouse setting, too!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh I like all your primitives. The shutters are great however I like the checked curtains

Janice